REGISTER FOR REUNION 2012 NOW!
Click here for details and registration form.

11 May 2008

WW2: Asking about AJ 'Jim" Edwards

Hi,
My name is Alistair Edwards (ex RNZEME)
-----I am trying to find out the details and military record of my father, James A Edwards, 1921, 22 Battalion. Sadly he died of cancer when I was approx 2 years old in 1965.
-----I have very sketchy details as to his history and am currently getting his medals refurbished and mounted. I would like to add details of his military career in this plaque.
-----The details I have are that he was in the Artillery in North Africa (but no war medal for that, so staging for Italy?), Italy, J-Force and in Korea. He retired after obtaining the rank of sergeant major. He then moved into a career in NZ Rail. His nick names were AJ or Jim.
-----I do know he had strong views about the American military after his tour in Korea, not very flattering, Re Americans retreating and leaving the New Zealander artillery in the front line.
-----His medals are the 1939-45 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal, 39-45 medal, NZ service medal 39-45 Korea medal and UN Korea.
-----I would be grateful for any details (dates) and photos of him and his unit. I only have one wedding photo.
-----Your help with this would be most appreciated. It would be sad to have his legacy lost, clouded in confusion.

Thank you, on behalf of my brothers and sisters, and our children.

Alistair Edwards (
sjhop@ihug.co.nz)

No comments:

Post a Comment