REGISTER FOR REUNION 2012 NOW!
Click here for details and registration form.

09 May 2008

Tribute08: Someone who watched over us

Hello All
Over the last few years I have been trying to track down the two Red Cross welfare workers, Isobel Beaumont and Avis Wilkes, who were attached to the RAAMC 1st Fd Hospital Vung Tau SVN.
-----As with many Vietnam Vets, both Isobel and Avis came home and were forgotten. I have read through the files and have been approached by a few vets who were touched by the support provided by these two at Vung Tau, once they were medivac'ed or RTU'd.
-----I have been successful in finding Avis and I'm still working on Isobel. After a bit of prompting Avis will be attending Tribute 08.
-----She will be presented with her Vietnam GSM, Operational Service Medal and also her replacement Vietnam Campaign Medal that was lost in the Southland floods in the early 80's (she only revealed this to me a few weeks ago) at our office on Thursday 29th May.
-----I understand Avis received an invite to a 161 reunion many years ago, unfortunately it arrived 12 months too late as Avis was overseas.
-----My request to your fellow vets is that Avis will be attending by herself, with much humility, and I hope that she receives your support both at the ceremonial and social activities during this signifient weekend.

If you have any queries please feel free to contact me.

Andrew McKie
International Operations Manager
New Zealand Red Cross
DDI 04471 8251

Also WO1 (Rtd) RNZAMC 1971-1991

No comments:

Post a Comment