REGISTER FOR REUNION 2012 NOW!
Click here for details and registration form.

26 August 2012

On Korea: Quick response from the gunners

At 1004 hrs on 22 August 2012, Marie Roberts has a query from Sean White of Ottawa, Canada:
“I am making a Canadian documentary about the Battle of Kapyong. Hoping you could steer me to someone that has access to the war diaries and radio logs for April 23-26,1951. Can you help? Thank you.”

Referred to Graham Birch who, at 1345 hrs, advised:
For something as important as this they really need to visit the National Archives in Wellington, where they can research with the actual diaries and radio logs. These are not on-line. If the production team can't make it to NZ I suggest they use the Canadian Defence Adviser in the Canadian High Commission in Canberra (who is accredited to NZ) to do some research for them. NZ wise the best contact would be Harry Honnor, but he won't have the actual detail they appear to want.
Regards, Graham

And, at 1449 hrs, Sean replied:
Hello everyone, thank you for your prompt reply.
I've contacted Ian McGibbon ,Senior Historian in the Historical Branch of New Zealand's Department of Internal Affairs. He tells me the radio logs were lost in Korea, but has given me the file codes/search codes for the war diaries. I'll contact the Canadian High Commission and if they can't help, hopefully I can simply hire a student to go the archives and copy files for me.
I am showing the US artillery involvement in the doc. 16RNZA did not have air burst ordnance during the battle and I'm trying to find out when they diverted to US artillery. My uncle was 2PPCLI and his platoon CO was Mike Levy who called for artillery on top of his position – 4,000 rds in 40 minutes. No worries full credit to 6RNZA and 3RAR. The doc will include that if 3RAR had artillery support as 2PPCLI did they would have held and won the battle.
We have taken the specualtion of Truman using nukes a step further and have found proof of him ordering and deploying 50 MKIV's (Nagasaki type) bombs to Kadena AFB,Okinawa in March,1951 to be assembled and stored their as a contingency. ALSO....Truman signed an order on April 6,1951 sending 10 B-29s to Kadena with bombs and fissile cores together to be used/dropped on Manchuria and North Korea if CCF Spring Offensive had of punched through to Seoul and China brought more troops south of the Yalu River.
10 A-bombs ready to go and 50 in reserve...seems 2PPCLI, 3RAR, 16RNZA and supporting US artillery units (mainly 213 AFA with the SP 105s) saved Asia from a nuclear war.
Regards everyone, Sean White.

1 comment:

  1. Update;

    Thank you for posting my query on the RNZA Blog.I've learned through my research how important the Battle of Kapyong is to New Zealanders and Australians as it is part of your ANZAC Day.

    My uncle was wounded on Hill 677 and if he was alive today, he passed away in 2001, he would ask me to say a hardy heartfelt thank you to the gunners of 16RNZA.

    I have updates and confirmed the nuclear bomb order. 9 MKIV nukes were ordered to Okinawa to be dropped on Manchuria and possibly Vladivostok if the CCF Spring Offensive was successful in "Encircling and annihilating the UN Command(Marshal Peng in his memoirs).

    "Hill677" will be aired November 2013 on Canada's History Television.

    ReplyDelete